Wednesday, September 26, 2007

The Very First HKP blog

The first blog is probably the hardest one to write. I guess I can start with why I am so passionate about what I do at Healthy Kids Pediatrics. I think the name of my practice says a lot. Many of you do not know that my son, Chris, actually helped to name my practice as we were brainstorming at the Rough Rider Baseball game one Saturday night. I still have the notebook that I used to jot down all my ideas about what I wanted to create in a practice.

I became so frustrated with issuing prescriptions for this and that, without really affecting the child's overall health and wellbeing. Well checkups seemed to be more about the shots at the end, then about teaching parents about nutrition and how to keep their child well. Pediatrics has changed since I started practicing 11 years ago. It seems like we do more to put bandaids on diseases then we do to cure them. We offer more drugs and procedures then we offer ways to restore one's health.

I wanted to make a stand in my own community for the wellbeing of children in ways that I felt I could not do in my previous practice. I wanted to bring a wellness model of medicine to Frisco, one that teaches parents how to get their families on the right track by addressing issues such as nutrition, exercise, and achieving balance. I have a very strong nutrition message. Why?

Because kids are growing up not knowing what is healthy and what is not. I am a mom too, and I know first hand how hard it has become to feed our kids a fast healthy meal and still have time to help with homework, play, get baths done, have any time for your spouse or significant other. Oh, did I mention time for yourself too?

I have brought practical parenting to the forefront of my checkups and have created a simplistic guide to nutrition for kids and parents. Our incredibly processed food diets, devoid of nutrition, but chalked full of calories is a major contributor to the scarey trends I see in children's health such as the increase in diabetes, obesity, ADHD, and behavior problems. I am here to make a lasting difference in these kids lives, not by giving them medicines for everything, but by teaching them and thereby empowering them to take control of their health through lifestyle changes that embrace health and wellness, not disease.

8 comments:

ttrbttr said...

Wow, I am honored ... the very first HKP blog comment! I am so glad we found you, Dr. Bain. I wanted someone who would treat the whole person who is my child, not just throw medicine at his symptoms. You give such peace of mind in your practice philosophy & we are so grateful. Stacy & Baby Dax Hughes

Meredith Braaten, CD(DONA) said...

I echo Stacy's comments. We are thrilled to have found you as your philosophy on health is the path that we have chosen to take! It's not an easy one as it does not flow with most of our mainstream friends and family. However, your support and expertise as our child's pediatrician makes all the difference. Thank you for starting this practice! The Braaten Family - Chris, Meredith & Cade

Debbie said...

It is so refreshing to read your blog and hear your philosophy about how Dr's should be more involved with wellness as opposed to just prescribing medicine. I have developed a product that helps parents better communicate with child's pediatrician.
It's called Minding Your Child's Health and is a diary formatted book.
Would love to hear your comments. You can find it at www.perfecthelpers.com
Thank you and keep up the informative blogs!!
Debbie.

www.Alabama-Health-Insurance-1.com said...

Anyone else out there who believes that we are a little quick to prescribe medications to "hyper active" children? Thanks Joe.
www.Alabama-Health-Insurance-1.com

Unknown said...

http://www.medigaplist.com will have all this info

Unknown said...

Very interesting details you have observed , appreciate it for posting .
homecare

poorna said...

an us patented ayurvedic health supplement that can taken by childern also it is FSA Approved if u want nutrition supplements contact me kpworld8@gmail.com

poorna said...

an us patented ayurvedic health supplement that can taken by childern also it is FSA Approved if u want nutrition supplements contact me kpworld8@gmail.com